Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Liam: The beginning...


It's almost Liam's birthday and I've been thinking alot about the past year. So, I thought I'd do a "series" of blogs about the past 12 months...more for my records; but you're welcome to walk with me down memory lane!



I was a week overdue and was induced with Cervidil on August 3rd. Almost immediately, I started having "contractions" which felt like cramps and a very bad back ache. I was informed that these were not true contractions, but they were still uncomfortable and physically draining. I remember having a heat pack on my back to help alleviate some of the pain. Since I was so uncomfortable, I didn't feel like doing too much, so I sat in front of the TV watching season 4 of CSI and waited to go into labor. But nothing happened. We walked around the block hoping that would trigger something. But still nothing happened. I didn't sleep very good that night because I kept having "contractions" and was uncomfortable no matter what position I laid in.

On the morning of the 4th, I was given Cervidil again. Not a nice experience. It's an uncomfortable procedure and I was disappointed that I still hadn't gone into labor. We left the hospital and went back home to watch more CSI and see if anything would progress.

I finally went into labor around lunchtime. Everything was going well and I was dilating perfectly. Only two people at a time were allowed in the room, so Nialle was there with me the entire time while our mothers took turns helping me through my contractions. I was pretty pleased with how I was progressing. Except I stalled once I had dilated to 4 cm. At about 9pm, I was given Oxytocin to help speed things up. Then the contractions really started coming and they came so hard! I was throwing up with some of the contractions and had to lie on my side because I was on the drip. I really just wanted to walk around the room, but had to stay put. I think I was only on the Oxytocin for about 10 min before I decided that I wanted an epidural and I wanted it now! Originally I had been hoping to get through the labor without any pain medication, but enough was enough...I was tired and cranky and just plain scared at what was happening to my body.

The euphoria of the epidural was amazing. After two days of being uncomfortable and feeling every ache and pain, I had the opportunity to lay on the hospital bed and feel nothing at all. My contractions progressed without me having to endure any more pain! Finally, just before midnight on the 4th, I felt pressure - though I had to push. 45 min later, around 1 am on August 5th, Liam arrived in the world - barely making a peep. Because he didn't cry and was very pale, Liam was rushed over to the warming table to be inspected. I remember everyone telling me how beautiful he was- but I couldn't see him at all because my mom, Nialle's mom and Nialle were all blocking the view. I think I finally told Nialle to "MOVE OUT OF THE WAY" so I could see Liam.




It was then that I saw him. There he was! My son! So long and white and perfect! I remember thinking that he looked a lot like Nialle even then. Holding him for the first time was a magical thing...he was so warm and small. He looked right into my eyes and I knew he was mine - all mine.


Liam had to be observed for an hour, so we parted ways and I went to our room to wait for him to return. I was so excited! I had had a boy! I couldn't wait to hold him again and just get to know every inch of his body. Liam was swaddled, but I remember telling my mom that I wanted to unwrap him and just look him over and get to know every bit of my little boy.

Around 3 am Liam was brought into my room to be washed by a nurse. I was resting on the bed, so she brought the basin next to me so I could watch. I was laying down, so I didn't have a very good view. But I did see a pointy nose poking up above the rim of the basin and I thought to myself, "Oh no, what have I done? He has my nose!"

It was an absolute thrill to hand Liam over to our moms and watch them with him. The love on their faces and the happiness they expressed at meeting their grandchild was the best gift I ever got to give both of them.



My dad was very awkward with Liam at first...he held him like he was a china doll. You'd never have guessed my dad raised 6 kids by the way he held Liam! Don't worry, Dad's a natural now.


Nialle's dad was so proud of Liam that if you look back at the pictures from the hospital, you'd think HE was the dad!



August 5th, was my first day as a mom. It's the best job I've ever had!

3 comments:

Mike and Tor said...

Wow Ness, thanks for sharing that. Or - writing it out where we could share in it. It brought tears to my eyes - I've been thinking alot lately about what it will be like the first time Michael and I get to see our baby. Noone could have told me that I could fall more in love with Michael than I already was - but I'm finding myself falling deeper and deeper in love with him everyday and I'm sure that will only grow once I see him holding our baby. The idea of creating a life with him - is.....incredible. Can't even describe the idea - and I haven't even experienced the best part yet! Can't wait to meet Liam when you guys come out this week.
Give me a call sometime this weekend and let us know what day works best for you. We'll be here and there - so we'll make sure we're there for whatever day you choose.
Thanks again for sharing you thoughts.

Karyn said...

Nessa, that was beautiful - all the posts. You made me cry. I did thin of you guys and your precious little boy on the 5th - and I thank God for the beautiful gift He gave to you and your families in Liam.

God Bless you all!

Love you.

arlene said...

It does not seem possible that this all took place a year ago. How did the months go by so quickly?!

What I remember most about the hours leading up to Liam's birth was a sense of amazement that you wanted me there with you. I know you invited me months earlier, but I prepared myself emotionally to have you say..."I'm sorry, I can't handle one more person, could you just come back when we're all done!" Being in the room with your Mom and Nialle to cheer you on was the most beautiful experience of my life. We were rather self serving as we coached and encouraged...it was ALL about the Grandma's!
Then seeing Liam, hearing his little voice, watching you with him, seeing Nialle struck absolutely SPEECHLESS for the very first time in his life!!
Driving home with your Mom and crawling into bed with *Grandpa* for the first time, and the excitement of telling him about the perfect little boy who had already stolen my heart forever...

I can't remember life without him. How can it be a whole year...how can it be only a year?