Sunday, January 20, 2008

Visitors in the Night

When we stepped out the door to go to church this morning we noticed that we had had some visitors in our backyard over night! These footprints gave it away...

It appears deer have been by to eat the compost we have been throwing out onto our garden. I certainly never thought I'd have deer in my backyard living in town. But, I think the idea of nighttime visits from deer is charming. (Of course we'll see if they keep up this habit once my garden is planted. I might not be so amused then!)


I wish I had been awake to see them all! Deer are beautiful to see up close - all that's left of their visit are their footprints and tongue marks in the snow. There's plenty of compost to come, so I'm sure they'll be back for more as the winter goes on!

3 comments:

Karyn said...

Hopefully, come garden time, they will be able to find enough food outside of town that they won't be a nuisance

arlene said...

You must have yummy compost. Word about the buffet is out.

Anonymous said...

We used to have deer walk 5 feet from our door during the day when we lived on the other end of town. Very cool!