Friday, February 20, 2009

My Kinda Valentine

This Valentine's, I had to laugh at how much Nialle and I have changed since we have had kids. Back in the 'old days' we would have thought it a disappointment to stay home on Valentine's Day - as though we weren't having a meaningful celebration if we weren't out at some interesting restaurant.

But times have changed and, thankfully, so have our attitudes. Since I'm still nursing Ada and she's only had the bottle...um...three times (and I'm too much of a wimp to leave her), Nialle and I rarely get out alone these days. But, I'm a homebody by nature, so I really don't mind staying in. I think both Nialle and I are grateful for any uninterrupted time alone, no matter where it happens.

Needless to say, we decided to have supper at home this Valentine's Day and splurge a bit on some ingredients for a tasty dish. Both Nialle and I were excited for our "just for mommy and daddy meal". We made Liam a simple supper of eggs and toast and then put both kids to bed early. Nialle started on dinner, I lit some candles and then we sat down to our own romantic dinner without children.

You know, with the quiet house and the candlelit dinner, our meal reminded me of one we had before we were married. Nialle took me to a little place called Hemingways on 109 ave in Edmonton. The restaurant was an old house that had been converted into a restaurant. The whole place only had about 10 or 15 tables which made for a really cozy atmosphere. I remember the food being really great too...I think I had pork.

Nialle's a wonderful cook and this meal was just as good as the one at Hemingways. We had a pasta dish with roasted red peppers and onions topped with sausage and fresh parmesan cheese. Simple and delicious.



We had some of my mom's homemade herbed butter on a french roll.


Egads, can my mom make good butter!

The wine was really interesting, if not for the taste, but for the bottle. It had been made to look like an old dusty bottle from a pirate ship - very cool.

We don't get out as much as we used to, but having our special Valentine's dinner gave us the idea to try and make such a dinner a regular weekly occurance. Sort of like a mini-date night at home!

4 comments:

arlene said...

What a great idea. It's so important to put you first sometimes. Enjoy it now...it's harder when the kids are teenagers!

Grandma Farm said...

I remember Dad and I doing that alot when you and Amy were little. And then when you got older you became our babysitters so we could get away on a regular basis. Our dates were weekly so we'd see how cheap we could go each week. Usually the cheap theater and tea and donut at Timmy's. The whole night added up to less than $10. Babysitters were free!
Makes me wonder where you got your frugalness from...

Vanessa said...

FREE babysitters? No fair! Well, I guess we're making even now that I drop off the kids at your house every once and a while!

Karyn said...

What a lovely, romantic dinner!

Where'd that wine come from?