Thursday, May 28, 2009

Free Pattern: Fortuny Baby Leggings


Fortuny Baby Leggings Pattern

A simple and pretty pair of leggings for any baby girl.

The leggings feature a traveling twisted stitch that spirals up the leg. Increases are worked in such a way that the traveling stitches gradually grow further apart as you knit up the leg. There are 15 rows of twisted stitch rib on either end of the leggings.


Fits a 3-6 month sized girl.

Knit using fingering weight yarn on 2.75mm needles. Gauge 7 sts = 1".

KEY
k1tbl: knit on through back loop
cn1tbl: slip on st onto cable needle and hold in front. Knit one st. Knit st on cable needle through the back loop.
m1: make one st. I used the KLL increase found here.

Pattern:

CO 42 sts
Work in twisted rib (k1tbl, p1) for 15 rows (1 1/2").

SET UP ROW: * k5, cn1tbl. Repeat from * to end.

ROW 1: knit all knit sts and ktbl all of the twisted sts.
ROW 2: * knit until you reach a twisted st, cn1tbl. Repeat from * to end.

Work rows 1 and 2 until piece measures 2 1/2", ending with row 1. Work an increase row.

INCREASE ROW: * knit until you reach a twisted st, cn1tbl, m1. Repeat from * to end.

Work rows 1 and 2 until piece measures 3 1/2", ending with row 1. Work increase row.

Continue on in such a fashion, working increase rows at 4 1/2", 5 1/2" and 6 1/2". Then work rows 1 and 2 until piece measures 7 1/2". Work 15 rows of twisted rib and bind off loosely in rib.

While you are working the leggings, you will eventually find that as your twisted stitches travel up the leg, there will come a point when a twisted st reaches the end of a round. When this happens and you have to cn1tbl, do so in such a manner so that you always have the same number of stitches on each needle. In other words, move the twisted st (the last st on the last needle) so that it becomes the first st on your first needle and the k st that used to be the first st on the first needle will now become the last st on the last needle.

Happy Knitting!

7 comments:

Kindra said...

I've always loved those leggings! Just adorable.

Holly said...

I stumbled upon your blog through your friends blog Menu Planning 101. I love great blogs like yours and your friends. As you can tell I'm wasting time right now. BUT I'm inspired by good food and adorable leggings:-) I just browsed your blog a bit and wanted to thank you for some wonderful ideas. I think we're a lot alike. I live near G.P. AB. I don't know where you live, but Canada, that's similar:-) I love your no paper towel thing, I've already decided I won't be buying more when we run out. I have a bunch of micro fiber cloths that I love, but I'll definitely be doing the receiving blanket thing for those one time uses like potty training so I can just throw it in the wash again. Anyhoo, I could go on and on but I'm going to make some dinner for the kiddies and hubbie. I'm totally going to make those adorable leggings, so thanks for that:-)

Vanessa said...

Wow, Holly! Thanks for the great feedback. As you can tell, I haven't posted in quite a while, but I'm glad you're finding inspiration here. I live in Wetaskiwin, AB...it's cool that we're so close (relatively speaking)! Have a great day and have fun making supper!

Nikki said...

I just made a pair of these for my little girl (3 1/2 months). SO CUTE!!!

Tammy♥ said...

Gotta make these for my granddaughter..thank you for sharing!

Claire Laverty said...

I made a pair of these and they are wonderful. There seems to be an error though - Row 1 is pearl rather than knit.

Unknown said...

What is “cn1tbl”??