Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Veggie Spray

Vegetable sprays have gained a lot of popularity lately and it makes sense. Buying organic fruits and veggies all of the time can get expensive and I've noticed that it's just not always possible. Vegetable sprays allow consumers to buy non-organic produce while removing most of the pesticides and heavy metals. That being said, organic is still probably the best idea because pesticides and heavy metals also make their way into the 'meat' of the produce as well.

I happened across this vegetable spray recipe while watching Oprah (Yes, I am ashamed. But this spray recipe alone vindicates me for watching Oprah one afternoon.)

1 c water
1 c vinegar
1 T baking soda
10 drops grapefruit seed extract (I just use lemon juice)


I make sure to use natural vinegar and organic baking soda because there's no point in using a spray that just puts more chemicals on top of your produce. You can also use organic lemon juice, although I haven't done that yet...


Mix 1 c of water and 1 c of vinegar in a spray bottle. Using a funnel, slowly add 1 T of baking soda. The baking soda will make the mixture fizz a bit, so add it slowly and in small increments. Finally, add your 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract.



Spray your fruits or vegetables thoroughly. Let produce stand for 5- 10 min before rinsing. There won't be any taste of vinegar left behind and you can simply enjoy!

The veggie spray lasts a long time in your spray bottle. Simply whip up another batch when you run out.


I've read that it's also a good idea to spray home grown vegetables if you live near a busy highway or road because airborne chemicals from exhausts will settle on your produce.

2 comments:

Kindra said...

I totally watched that episode! Thanks for posting the recipe for making the spray.

P.S. Love the new look!!

arlene said...

I will make some right away. Thanks for this post. I even have grapefruit EO.