Thursday, June 5, 2008

Victory Gardens

Only recently did I learn about Victory gardens, but they have become a bit of a fascination to me. I mean, when else did so many people and towns participate in growing their own food? Yum!

Victory gardens were planted in the US, UK and Canada during WWI and WWII in order to alleviate the demand on the public food supply. It was intended that the money saved on importing food would go directly to supporting the armed forces.

Gardening during the wars wasn't just for the poor anymore, it was a way for the public to feel they were making a contribution toward the war efforts. In many ways, having victory garden was seen as a morale booster.

And what better way to boost morale, than to grow your victory garden in a bomb crater as seen in this picture?


Space that otherwise would have gone unused was put to work for the war. Street corners, public parks and apartment building rooftops were bursting at the seams with vegetables, fruits and herbs.


Maybe I'm just a tad sentimental, but who wouldn't want to plant their own victory garden today? Not you? Oh. Well, I do!

There's lots of great reasons why having your own vegetable garden is a good idea. There's no war effort we're called to support, but food shortages are slowly becoming a reality. Furthermore, in cities there's a lot of wasted space that could be used to provide nutrition for the public. All that aside, we all know that the fruits and veggies we buy at the grocery store are often covered in pesticides and lack nutrients because they are forced into maturity. Having your own homegrown vegetables is an excellent way to enjoy organic and nutrient rich fruits and vegetables. Come on, it's fun! (And it's cheap, cheap, cheap).


But that's just me. I'm a geek. I'm a nerd. And I'm slowly turning into a hippy. But I'm having a lot of fun doing it too - which is why I shared this with you!

3 comments:

Grandma Farm said...

This is a neat post, Ness! The rooftop gardens reminds me of the square foot gardening encouraged in Haiti.

Karyn said...

Preach it Nessa! Even though I do NOT love gardening, I have a garden this year - because of the rising costs of food. With the abundance of information at our fingertips (literally) through the internet, we can all learn tips and tricks of the most efficient ways to garden that our parents and grandparents had to learn through trial and error over many years.

Vanessa said...

I saw your garden on Facebook, Karyn. It's huge! I hope you guys get lots of good vegetables out of it.