Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ready or Not, Here I Come...

...no I'm not in labour. But the cloth diapers are finally done and that scares me more than labour does! I know that losing the convenience of disposable diapers will be tough, but financially, things might be a little tight for a while, so cloth diapers make a lot of sense.

Since Liam isn't potty trained yet and we have 36 one-size-fits-all diapers made up, I figured that he and the baby could share the diapers. So, before I laid Liam down for his nap today, I slipped on the cloth diaper and put on the plastic cover.

Liam's a big kid, and I can tell that it won't be long before he outgrows the cloth diapers. Maybe, just maybe, he'll be potty trained before that happens. Liam will be my guinea pig for the next while as I learn how to use and wash these things before the baby arrives. I've already practically memorized Kindra's posts on cloth diapers, so I think I'll be OK. Gulp.

But I'm also pretty excited to use these things. We, (my mom and I) have been working on sewing these together for months now. I use the term 'we' loosely because in true mom fashion, my mom did a whole lot more work than I did. Sewing the diapers was tedious, but I estimate it saved us about $500. That's pretty awesome - thanks, Mom!

I've also come across a cloth diaper blog that I've been browsing. It's mostly just a website trying to sell you products, but it's been really helpful to know what other products and accessories are out there for cloth diapering. I'm hoping to purchase or make a wool soaker and see how that works out as a cover. Also, Nialle and I use cloth bags for grocery shopping, so we don't have a lot of old grocery bags kicking around that I can store dirty diapers in, so I hope to purchase one of these puppies too:


The Bumkins Tote Bag isn't just for soiled cloth diapers, it can be used as a clean diaper tote as well. In fact, with its roomy outer mesh pocket, the Bumkins Tote Bag can carry dry cloth diapers within the outside mesh pocket and hold your baby's wet or soiled cloth diapers on the inside.
(I'm thinking any bag made of durable plastic would work just fine too).


Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Grandma Farm said...

So, how did the cloth diaper hold up during Liam's nap?
There is just so much more available now for green savvy moms than there was in my day. Back then when you were born, there was the old square chunk of flannel, ready and waiting to fold a gizzilion times before inserting under your rear. And then there were pins and the resulting pin pricked mommy fingers...

arlene said...

...or pin pricked babies! My mom tells how my older sister pinned right through my little brothers skin once! OOOuuuch!

Good job Grandma Farm. You are so patient and thorough. How did you find the time?

Good for you Ness. Is the $500 savings in the diapers themselves or in not buying disposables?

Vanessa said...

The $500 savings is in making the disposables, rather than buying them. The really fancy cloth ones are pretty pricey! I still had to make a bit of an investment in the covers and diaper pail, but it really wasn't bad.