Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ada's Quilt


Although I adore Liam and all his fun 'boy' stuff, once I knew we were having a girl, I couldn't wait to dive into the world of pink.

During my last year of university, I stumbled across a book about antique doll and crib quilts at the used book store on campus. I loved that the author took the time to re-create a pattern for each of the well-loved quilts from yesteryear. The one quilt that caught my eye was called the postage stamp quilt. It was a plain, yet whimsical patchwork quilt and I knew it would be perfect for my little girl.



Sewing the squares together so that the seams matched proved difficult and ironing all those seams afterwards was rather tedious. But the end result was worth it.

The pattern was easy to adapt to fit a crib and I added borders to finish off the patchwork.


Nothing beats running your hands along a soft quilt...
Scratch that.

Nothing beats snuggling with your little girl for the first time under the quilt you made just for her.


3 comments:

Grandma Farm said...

That quilt is so beautiful...but not as beautiful as the one wrapped up in it!

arlene said...

What a beautiful quilt Vanessa. I love it! It is so perfect for such a beautiful little girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! You took on quite the challenge with your first quilt! Good job! It looks gorgeous!

I'd like to say that lining up the squares and pressing the seams gets easier and less tedious, but....it doesn't.

You did a gorgeous job! Waaaayyy nicer than my first!

Janice