Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pregnant?

If I didn't know better (and I hope I do), I'd swear I was pregnant. Even though Ada is 3 months old, I still feel like I'm in nesting mode. I'm obsessing over what we eat, clean with, how we spend our money and how clean my home is...it's really strange.

During my pregnancy with Ada, I obsessed over going 'greener and cleaner' in our house. I read articles and books on how harmful many of our common household items were and made a commitment to making my house and the products we use safer for us and my children to come into contact with. I realized that just because an item is on a store shelf doesn't guarantee that it is safe for you to use. Yeah, I was turning into a hippy.

But my hippy phase didn't end with Ada's arrival; instead, it just keeps going full steam ahead. Of course, discovering that my mozzarella cheese contains talc doesn't bring back my faith in food (I'm not making things up...it was right there in the ingredients) and learning that my mascara contains carcinogens doesn't help matters either.

Since Ada's arrival, I've also gone budget crazy. Everyday at 11am, my household shuts down and I turn on the TV to watch 'Til Debt Do Us Part'. I'm so completely and pathetically hooked on this show. I want Gail Vaz-Oxlade to come to my house and get us going on a better budget. I want to do her weekly challenges!

Even though Nialle and I usually live within our means, I'd like to live below our means so that we can put aside more money for savings, holidays or a new house. I've started reading Your Money or Your Life and it has me thinking about we can relate to money differently. It has me wondering how I can resist the urge to be such a consumer. It's an interesting time in history, what with the financial crisis in the States - everyone seems to be talking about budgeting now. What that means for me is that there's lots of inspiration and ideas online about how to cut costs at home. I'm hoping that in the next few months or so, we can start setting aside more money for retirement or even *fingers crossed* a trip to Europe!

I've also gone cleaning crazy. I started following flylady's zone cleaning and am working on decluttering and cleaning my home. I have a binder with the list of cleaning chores that I complete each week and where I now keep all of my household information such as ongoing grocery lists and other miscellaneous items I need. I'm so organized and so, so nerdy.

I'm a wee bit embarrassed at how nutty I've gone for all these things. Some of them even seem a to sit on the outside fringes of sanity. But, honestly, I hope I'm not going through a phase, because I'm actually having a good time trying all of these new things!

5 comments:

arlene said...

Ness, one thing about you that we all love is that you strive to do the BEST at whatever you are doing at the time. It makes perfect sense that you are going hard at perfecting your job of wife/mom/homemaker. (A HUGELY important job!)
So we understand and admire you a lot.


Plus, who doesn't love a hippy?

Peace and Love, Earth Mamma.

Grandma Farm said...

Nah, Ness, you're not being nerdy, you're just wanting to do the best at what you have in front of you. Maintaining a home, being a wise steward of all that you have been given is all admirable! Hats off to you, girl!
Ma

Kindra said...

Thanks for the heads up on the FlyLady website Vanessa! It's funny, because I am in the EXACT same mode as you are. I am getting control of our finances, meal planning, coupon clipping and never before have I kept a clean house, but for the last couple of weeks I've worked on keeping my kitchen clean every day and picking up the baby toys scattered all over the living room. I think the fly lady thing will really help me to establish a routine and I'm looking forward to being nerdy and organized just like you!

Vanessa said...

I hope you like FlyLady, Kindra. It's funny that we are both in the same mode...what's that saying - 'great minds think alike'? (or is it 'fools seldom differ'). Cheers to being nerdy and organized.

Karyn said...

I LOVE Flylady!!! When my kids were little I read "Sidetracked Home Executives" (on which flylady is based) and implemented their system into my home. When I used the system, I had such a neat, clean, organized home and life. It actually saved my sanity! I am currently working at decluttering my home (and I have ALOT of clutter to de) as well as re-establishing good daily housekeeping habits. I'm even considering baking my own bread again. And being less of a consumer is something we ALL should do!!! No, you're not a hippy, nor are you nerdy....you are simply being a "Proverbs 31 woman". (Sorry for the 'Christianese' cliche` :)